Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cushion Covers and Cotton Lace

So here's today's project update:



A couple of days ago I finished this patchwork sampler cushion cover, and am still sighing in relief that all the squares matched up! I mean, I made the necessary swatch and took the gauge very carefully, but there's no telling how different stitch patterns will mess with your gauge, and I was NOT going to make a separate swatch for each pattern. Also, this is the second zipper I've ever sewn, and I have to say, I'm quite pleased with myself. :) You can find it on Etsy here:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26636167

My next store project is a long, cotton lace spring/summer vest, which I've been working steadily on for the past two days:

It's hard to get the colors right by electric light: I'm alternating between a pale green yarn and a light-green-and-melon variegated yarn. The lace pattern is very simple, with only the two RS rows to remember: yo, ssk and yo, k2tog. I can even knit this while watching movies, which is definitely a plus!

Then there's the glorious staghorn-cabled scarf I'm working on for my boyfriend, following the pattern for the "Antlers Scarf" in Son of Stitch'n Bitch: 45 Projects to Knit & Crochet for Men. This scarf achieves the near-impossible feat of being both beautiful and manly. Both scarf and book are highly recommended.

And it's not knit, but...


I'm finally going to do what I've been wanting to for years, and make a skirt out of old ties! They're all formerly my dad's, but are too ratty for him to wear - so I will transform them! I just broke out the sewing machine and cannot wait to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment