Friday, January 29, 2010

Snow in Tennessee???


I took these pictures early this afternoon just as the snow started coming down. By this time (almost midnight), the entire neighborhood is coated in several inches of white fluff. Having endured four Indiana winters, I'm quite accustomed to a lot of snow - down here, however, it's almost unheard of. I wasn't in East Tennessee for the infamous "Blizzard of '93" and I certainly didn't experience the snows that one of my clients at Tri-County, an old mountain man, likes to reminisce about.

Snow has a kind of mythic, magical quality here in Tennessee, at least everywhere but in the high mountains. An inch of snow gets the schools closed and sends the kids sledding down every hill on trash can lids. My dogs sniff at it in wonder; one even used to bark at it when he was a puppy. The whole town shuts down. I'm wondering if I'll be able to go to work tomorrow morning, especially since I work a town away in Niota and have to drive through those windy county roads. I guess I'll see what it's like when I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment