Monday, November 30, 2009

At the risk of sounding like a Grinch, or what I love and hate about the holiday season

I don't much care for the holiday season. Don't get me wrong - I like the holidays themselves. It's the overblown quality of the entire season that gets to me, especially the Christmas part. The top five things I find particularly obnoxious are (with exceptions)

1. Pop renditions of Christmas songs
These are hokey and should be used sparingly, if at all.
2. Cheesy Christmas movies
All that going on about The Meaning of Christmas when they're just making the holiday that more shallow.
3. Red and green decor.
These colors should be reserved for poinsettias and other plants on which they occur naturally.
4. Excessive spending and commercialization, especially of a religious holiday
A complaint we've all heard a million times before, but a valid complaint nonetheless
5. Basically everything that's fake (fake snow, fake trees, etc.)
If the tree's not real, then what's the point?

That said, I do like Christmas on a personal level. I love being with my family and friends. I love exchanging meaningful gifts with people I care about, especially if I get to make them myself. I love getting chocolate and candy in my stocking. I love hearing the old Anglican hymns I grew up with. I love the old world pagan elements like putting a tree in your house. And I love how for me - a practicing Buddhist - it's one way I can connect to and honor my Christian heritage, and a way I'll be able to share that heritage with my Jewish fiance when he comes to visit.

So let me focus on the positive. Plus, I'm now at 13 sales!

No comments:

Post a Comment